Incredibly easy, heart healthy enchilada sauce! It’s low on sodium but not on flavor, and you’ll love it with your favorite enchilada recipe (I might have a recommendation!)! And how quick is this to make? Only 5 minutes – if that – and no cooking required!Jump to Recipe
Tips and Substitutions
In place of the jalapeno, you can use any spicy pepper you like, or try using 1 Tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for some smoky spice. If you don’t want any spice, omit the pepper entirely.
Get my recipe for Salt Free Taco Seasoning here. It only takes a few minutes to mix up. Alternatively, there are some salt free taco seasoning brands, including Mrs. Dash, available in both stores and online retailers.
Yes. I love the flavor red onions add to this sauce, but any onion will do.
A regular blender or food processor will work. You may have to process it longer, and you may end up with some small bits in your sauce, but it will still be fabulous!
If you make my Heart Healthy Enchilada Sauce, tell me in the comments! Use it to my my delicious Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas!
Healthy Enchilada Sauce
Incredibly easy, heart healthy enchilada sauce! It's low on sodium but not on flavor, and you'll love it with your favorite enchilada recipe!
- 2 cans No Added Salt Diced Tomatoes total 28 oz
- 1-2 Jalapeño Peppers, seeded, to taste
- ½ medium Red Onion, roughly chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp DIY Salt Free Taco Seasoning (see link in notes), or more to taste
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor, and blend on high until completely smooth.
- Use in enchilada recipe immediately, or refrigerate for up to 5 days before use. Can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Get the DIY Salt Free Taco Seasoning!