This simple and healthy cilantro lime sauce is for tacos, enchiladas, salads, or even grilled meats and seafood. Mildly spicy, with notes of cilantro and tangy lime, it’s the perfect complement to any Mexican inspired dish!Jump to Recipe
Recommended Recipe Pairings
Cilantro lime sauce will go great with most any Mexican inspired meals. Here are some of my top recommendations:
- Use as a salad dressing for a taco salad, or any side salad
- Drizzle over Quick Plant-based Tacos, or 5-Minute Weeknight Tacos
- Use instead of (or in addition to!) salsa verde in Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tostadas
- Drizzle over Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas! MMMMMmmmmmm!
- Use instead of ketchup on your favorite bean burger!
- Dip Crispy Oven Fries in it!
Tips and Substitutions
I recommend sticking mostly to the recipe on this one, since there aren’t that many ingredients to begin with. There are a few moderations, however!
If you don’t have cashews or want to make this nut free, you can use 1 cup of silken tofu, plain Greek yogurt, or plain regular yogurt, and thin with a bit of water as you’re blending.
Technically, no. Soaking the cashews allows them to soften up so they can make the dressing creamier. If you don’t soak the cashews, your dressing just won’t be as creamy, and the cashews may not blend up completely, especially if you’re using a regular blender, and not a high speed one like Vitamix.
Yes! Soak them for a bit longer – up to overnight – and omit the added salt at the end.
To make the lime cilantro dressing less spicy, simply omit the jalapeno pepper, or use only half of one. To make it spicier, add the pepper seeds in with the pepper.
If you make this delicious, creamy cilantro lime sauce, tell me in the comments!
Cilantro Lime Sauce (dairy free)
This simple and healthy cilantro lime sauce is for tacos, enchiladas, salads, or even grilled meats and seafood. Mildly spicy, with notes of cilantro and tangy lime, it's the perfect complement to any Mexican inspired dish!
- ½ cup raw, unsalted Cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Fresh Cilantro (stems and all)
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt, to taste
Combine cashews and water, and allow to soak for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
Add the soaked cashews with the soaking water, and all other ingredients to a blender.
Blend on high until completely smooth.
Taste and adjust salt, if needed.