Is it too hot to fire up your oven these days? Me too. That's why I'm bringing you this recipe for Grilled Broccoli and Onions. Because the grill isn't just for meat!
Grilling the vegetables creates a yummy, smoky char on them that goes perfect with summer, without heating up your whole house. (If you like grilling veggies, check out this recipe!)
For grilling vegetables and other small items, I recommend using a grill pan. That way, all the bits and pieces (flavor) will stay on the grill, instead of falling through the grates. If you don't have a grill pan, you can cover a portion of your grill with foil before preheating it.
If you're really pressed for time (or if you just don't want to make it), the sauce could be forgone. The dish will be good without it. But really, look at how bright and sunny it is!
The lemony caper and thyme sauce really pulls everything together, and brightens the vegetables. When I want to add a little salt to a dish, my favorite thing to do it to find a briny whole food to use. That way, I increase the fiber and antioxidants of the dish a little, even though I'm increasing the sodium. Plus, with ingredients like capers, olives, and pickles, you really don't need to use a lot because the brininess is so concentrated.
If you don't care for capers, minced green olives would work just as well!
Grilled broccoli and onions with lemony caper and thyme sauce will be a hit at your next barbecue, guaranteed!
Grilled Broccoli and Onions with Lemony Caper and Thyme Sauce
- Grill pan
- 1 lb Broccoli Florets, fresh or frozen
- 1 large Onion, halved and sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Lemon
Lemony Caper and Thyme Sauce
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- 1 ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat grill on medium heat.
- Toss broccoli, onions, and garlic cloves with olive oil and place on grill pan.
- Move the grill pan to preheated grill, and squeeze ½ lemon over the mixture.
- Grill on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until desired level of doneness is reached, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients for the sauce together, until combined.
- Scoop broccoli onto serving plate, and drizzle with lemony caper & thyme sauce. Serve immediately.