Sometimes it’s hard to pack a lunch for work, and sometimes a recipe like Everything Bagel Chickpea Salad Sandwiches comes along and makes you wonder why you weren’t making it all along!
Everything Bagel Chickpea Salad has everything you want at lunchtime. It’s creamy without all the mayo, it’s garlicky, it’s got crunchy bits, and it’s piled high between two slices of bread! Or it would be great in a pita, too! Or a wrap! You decide. It’s delicious all by itself, too.Jump to Recipe
Tips and Substitutions
Yes, use any kind of onion you have. I love red onions, and the color contrast they provide. But green onions would be great – especially in the Spring – as well as yellow, white, or any other onion you want.
Technically, no. But you will want to use something else that’s crunchy. The chickpea salad really needs that texture. Consider using diced bell peppers, diced carrots, or even nuts or seeds like pepitas, sunflower seeds, or pistachios.
You can really use any type of yogurt you want, as long as it’s unsweetened. Sweetened yogurt will throw off the flavor of your chickpea salad. For this, I used Forager Cashewmilk Yogurt (this post is not sponsored by Forager). I love how mixing it with lemon juice, garlic, and seasoning mimicked mayo! I had some leftover from when I made Pesto Scalloped Potatoes and Honey Cardamom Strawberry Muffins (which are sponsored posts).
I’ve seen it at both Trader Joe’s and Costco, but I’m sure it’s available in other stores, too.
Everything Bagel Chickpea Salad Sandwiches are a great heart healthy lunch! Wondering what the best diet is for a healthy heart? This article names 3 best diets for heart health!
If you make this recipe, let me know in the comments! I can’t wait to hear how you like it!
Everything Bagel Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
These sandwiches are so easy! The chickpea salad is a perfect make-ahead option and will keep for several days in the fridge. An excellent, healthy, packable lunch for school or work!
- 1 ½ cups Chickpeas (1 can low or no sodium added chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup diced Red Onion
- ¼ cup diced Celery
- ¼ cup Plain Yogurt (I used cashew milk yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (½ Lemon juiced)
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 8 Slices of Whole Grain Bread
- Lettuce, Tomato slices, Onion slices, as desired
- In a large bowl, lightly smash chickpeas, leaving some whole.
- Add diced onion and celery, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and everything bagel seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Assemble sandwiches as you wish, 2 slices of bread per sandwich, with lettuce, onion, and tomatoes.
See Tips & Substitutions above if needed.