Here's what you've been craving to wake you up in the morning! Chai Latte Waffles with Ginger Grilled Peaches will keep you going right up to lunch time. And if you use regular tea bags, they are even caffeinated! These make the perfect brunch for lazy weekend mornings, too.
These waffles are made from whole wheat pastry flour, which has all the goodness of whole grain while still keeping the end product fluffy. If you can't find whole wheat pastry flour, regular whole wheat flour will work; your waffles might just be denser.
You'll start by steeping Chai Tea bags in hot milk with dates. I like using Chai Spice black tea from Stash Tea Company. It has a fantastically bold flavor. It's available in either regular or decaf, whatever your fancy! I bought it in my regular grocery store, so no need to make a special order.
The longer you steep the tea in the milk, the more pronounced the Chai flavor will be. Make sure you squeeze every drop of goodness out of those tea bags before you toss them! A quick trip in the blender, and you're ready to start mixing! If you've followed me for any length of time, you already know how I love using dates for sweetness. (If you want to read more about why, hop on over to my Heart Healthy Chocolate Date Sauce post!)
Can we talk about grilled peaches for a minute?! I mean, peaches are in season right now and are absolutely amazing in their own rite. But grilling them! It makes them even sweeter and juicier, while imparting and bit of smoky charred heaven. A must-make before they're all gone!
A few other substitutions I made from a regular waffle recipe! I'm using chia seeds soaked in water in place of eggs to bump up the fiber and omega-3's. I also used applesauce instead of butter or oil to keep the calories and total fat a bit lower. Obviously waffles aren't "diet food" (nor do I promote the idea of diet foods), and these are not exception. But they are a healthy, and, equally importantly, YUMMY addition to your routine!
If you make Chai Latte Waffles, I want to hear all about it! Let me know in the comments!
Chai Latte Waffles with Ginger Grilled Peaches
- Waffle Maker
For the Waffles
- 2 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 6 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ cups Unsweetened Soy Milk (or milk of choice)
- ¼ cup whole dates, pitted
- 8 Chai Tea bags, regular or decaf
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Peach Topping
- 2 Large Peaches, sliced into wedges
- ½ teaspoon ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon neutral oil, like Canola
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water. Stir and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine soy milk and dates. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, and steep tea bags in milk for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat waffle maker, if needed.
- Squeeze all liquid from tea bags and discard. Pour chai milk and dates into a blender, and blend on high until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Add milk mixture, chia seed mixture, applesauce, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until just combined.
- Mist waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray if needed. Add about ½ cup of the waffle mixture to the waffle maker, and cook according to manufacturer's directions, until done. Repeat 3 more times.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on medium heat.
- Combine peach slices, ginger, and oil, and mix well.
- Grill peach slices over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Assemble by piling peach slices on each waffle.